Thursday, September 22, 2005

Stitch Doctor wanted.

So I gave into temptation. I kept looking at that beautiful scarf grumperina is sporting from her SYNO pal. You know that the debbie bliss baby cashmerino in my stash was just calling out to me...



I just couldn't help myself. Actually, this will be one item for SCP#2. It is kind of a strange colour blue. I also have a mauve colour...but I think I will make one for myself out of that!
Here is the problem. This is a recurring problem with my stitches that are pulled over...and I think it is a common ailment of other knitters. That "stretched out stitch", I just can't stand it.



I had little red arrows drawn to show you...but for some reason they are no longer here. But you see it don't you...the bottom left side of the leaf?

Am I the only one? How do I fix this? Is it because I am an "english style thrower"? What is the cure? Does anyone know?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I opened your entry and thought, "OMG, is that my scarf? I thought I was opening Carolyn's blog, not Polly's." Hehe... Do you have color #340605? If so, we're twins! I'm not sure which stitches you're referring to... to me, your scarf is looking great so far!

goodkarma said...

All I know is that DB Baby Cashmerino is a fabulous yarn to work with and to wear; your gift recipient will love you for this scarf. :)

Laura said...

I know what you mean about the "stretched stitch" problem. I get it on ribs and cables sometimes. I'm an English thrower too (and I am totally okay with that -- LOL!). I am not sure how to fix it -- pull next st quite tight? But if Kathy says it looks good to her, that's high praise indeed. I say, don't worry! Also, blocking might help, right?

Anonymous said...

I was planning on doing the exact same thing and copying Grumerina with that scarf and that yarn, only in a different color.

YES, oh how I have the exact same problem. I know exactly what you are saying and I totally see it on the photo. I don't know what to do about it. Nona told me that if you slip the stitch purlwise rather than knitwise, it helps, and I found that it did, but it still is unsightly. I find the SSK is just as ugly, as is the K2tbl. So frustrating.

Anonymous said...

hey little sister
HAS MARTHA CALLED YET? I SUBMITTED YOUR BLOG AND A NICE LETTER.
She will call you soon don't worry just keep knitting.
I'll get me people to contact her people again.
ck

Anonymous said...

I can't see the stitches you are talking about. It looks great to me!

Tracy Batchelder said...

After staring at the photo and searching for the stretched stitch, I no longer consider myself a perfectionist because I can't see anything wrong. I think you should just look at the pattern as a whole. It's beautiful!